Dr Keene is one of the most experienced knee surgeons in Australia and probably the world; having performed 35,000 knee operations. He is the only orthopaedic surgeon in South Australia who practices exclusively as a knee surgeon.
He did his Orthopaedic Surgeon training here in SA, then won an AO Scholarship to work in St Gallen, Switzerland under Professor Hardi Weber and a Zimmer Scholarship to work under Professor Bob Jackson for 12 months in Toronto Canada. Professor Jackson is "the Father of Arthroscopy".
Arriving back in Australia in the early 80's Dr Keene established his knee surgery practice in Adelaide. Since then he has enjoyed the responsibility of helping people of all ages with their knee problems, including many state, national, international and Olympic athletes and of course famous footballers from both our magnificent AFL teams!
He is the founder of SPORTSMED.SA which is now the largest and world class clinic/hospital of its kind in the southern hemisphere with branches in 3 states.
He established the Fellowship program at the clinic which has attracted young surgeons from all over the world. He is also actively involved in the Orthopaedic Surgeon Trainee program (established by SPORTSMED.SA colleague David Martin). We are the only private clinic/hospital involved in training young surgeons in SA.
Dr Keene has been involved in knee surgery advances his whole career and has delivered invited lectures on various knee surgery topics in 27 countries. He has received many awards for his work including honorary membership of the Arthroscopy Association of North America; an award that is rarely given to non-Americans.
To this day Dr Keene remains active in teaching, using and developing new technology and taking enormous pride in his work especially getting the very best result for his patients.
- Sports injuries of the knee
- Athroplasty (joint replacement) of the knee
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Minimally invasive partial knee replacement
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, 1971
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 1978
- Foundation fellow of Australian Sports Medicine Federation (FASMF), 1984
- State Secretary, Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1988–99
- State Chairman, Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1989–1992
- Director of SGIC Hospitals Group, SGIC Hospitals Group, 1989–1992
- Board of Directors, International Arthroscopy Association, 1989–1995
- Member of the Editorial Board, American Sports Med. Journal, 1991–2002
- Editorial board, The Knee, 1992–2002
- President, Australian Knee Society, 1993–94
- Board of Directors Executive, SPORTSMED.SA, 1993–95
- Diploma and Fellowship, Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2010
- Deputy Chairman, Board of Directors, SPORTSMED.SA Hospital and Orthopaedics 1995-2015
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Australian Sports Medicine Federation
- Australian Knee Society, International Society of Arthroscopic Knee and Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Arthroplasty Society of Australia
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
Awards & Achievements
- Founding surgeon of SPORTSMED.SA
- John Joyce Award, International Arthroscopy Association, London, 1984
- Honorary Membership, Arthroscopy Association of North America, 2004
- Nominee, Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, 2011
- Motor racing
- Food and wine