Dr. Sean Sutphen is an Orthopedic Surgeon with specialized fellowship training in hip and knee joint replacement and complex revision joint replacement. He uses minimally invasive surgical techniques with a special interest in anterior and posterior approach hip replacement surgery, partial knee replacement, computer-assisted navigation joint replacement, and robotic-assisted joint replacement; though he treats all aspects of musculoskeletal care (fractures, arthritis conditions, etc.). Dr. Sutphen’s approach to caring for patients with disorders of the hip and knee involves personalized treatments, both operative and non-operative, that are supported by the latest evidence. He believes shared decision-making with his patients is the best way to provide care that is individualized, compassionate, and most likely to achieve their goals.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Sutphen received his undergraduate degree from Miami University, where he completed his pre-medical studies and was a member of the ice hockey team. He received his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Medicine and went on to complete his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Ohio University in Columbus, Ohio where he served as chief resident. Dr. Sutphen went on to complete a prestigious fellowship in Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement at the world-renowned Hospital for Special Surgery (number one orthopaedic hospital in the country as ranked by US News and World Report) at Cornell University Medical College in New York City. He has authored numerous journal publications and passionately conducts research in the field of Orthopaedic Surgery. He serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Arthroplasty. Dr. Sutphen is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Dr. Sutphen lives in the northern suburbs of Chicago with his wife Ashley and their two daughters, Libby and Kate.
Philosophy of Care
Every day it is my responsibility to provide the highest standard of orthopedic care and personal attention to each and every patient. I emphasize a whole-person approach to treatment and care. With advanced training in minimally invasive surgical techniques and rapid recovery joint replacement, I strive to help my patients return to the activities they enjoy as quickly as possible.
Lake Erie College Of Medicine
- Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
- Hospital for Special Surgery/Weill Cornell Medical
- Sutphen S, Berend KR, Morris MJ, Lombardi AV. The Direct Anterior Approach has a Lower Rate of Deep Infection than the Limited Incision Direct Lateral Approach in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Surg Orthop Adv. Spring 2018;27(1):21-24.
- Prissel MA, Simpson GA, Sutphen S, Hyer CF, Berlet GC. Ankle Arthrodesis: A Retrospective Review Comparing Single Column, Locked Anterior Plating to Crossed Lag Screw Technique. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017 May – Jun;56(3):453-456.
- Sutphen S, Adams JB, Lombardi AV. Failed Modular Neck Stems: Tip and Tricks. J Arthroplasty, 2016 Jul;31(7):1390-4.
- Sutphen S, Mendoza J, Mundy AC, Yang G, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Pediatric Diaphyseal Femur Fractures: A Comparison of Outcomes after Submuscular Plating, Flexible Intramedullary Nailing, and Rigid Intramedullary Nailing. Orthopedics. 2016 Nov 1;39(6):353-358.
- Sutphen S, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Bridge Plating Length-Unstable Femoral Shaft Fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Jun; 36 Suppl 1:S29-34.
- Sutphen S, MacLaughlin L, Madsen A, Russell J, McShane MA. Prevalence of Pseudotumor in Patients after Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty Evaluated with Metal Ion Analysis and MARS-MRI. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Jan; 31(1): 260-3.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Li J, Hopkins R, Lewis J, Sutphen S, Nicholson L, Reader D, McShane MA. Comparison of Custom to Standard TKA Instrumentation with Computed Tomography. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Aug; 22(8): 1833-42.
- Sutphen S, Murakami JW. Radiofrequency ablation of a cervical osteoid osteoma: a trans-thyroid approach. Pediatric Radiology. 2007, 3 (1): 83-85.
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Academic Excellence Scholarship, 2009-2012
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Club Executive Board, 2008-2010
- Sigma Sigma Phi Medical Honors Society, 2009
- TOUCH Pin Award Recipient, 2011
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Discipline Award, 2012
- Ohio University Advanced Anatomical Services Master of Dissection Award, 2013
- First Place Poster: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2015
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- Third Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- First Place Podium: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award Winning Paper, 2016
- Chief Resident, Ohio University Orthopaedic Surgery Residency; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL, 2017
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement
- Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement
- Revision/Failed Hip Replacement
- Outpatient Total Hip Replacement
- Robotic-Assisted Hip Replacement
- Hip injection