Dr. Hanbing (Steve) Zhou is a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon who cares for patients with surgical and non-surgical spine related disorders.To treat these disorders, Dr. Zhou specializes in advanced minimally invasive and open surgical techniques.He believes in a comprehensive approach to patient care, including utilization of physical therapy and conservative management to explore all alternatives of treatment before surgery is considered. His clinical interests and expertise include degenerative cervical/ thoracic/ lumbar disease, adult deformity/scoliosis, spine oncology, and trauma.In addition, Dr. Zhou has a special interest in complex spine reconstruction including revision fusion surgery for non-union, and proximal junctional kyphosis/failure.
Dr. Zhou completed his fellowship in spine from the prestigious Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver, Canada. He finished his undergraduate education at University of California, San Diego in La Jolla, CA with a degree in biomechanical engineering.He earned his medical degree from Boston University in Boston, MA and went on to complete a six-year academic Orthopedic Surgery residency program at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, MA.In addition to the five-year clinical residency, Dr. Zhou also completed an additional year of orthopedic surgery research in the area of spine disorders.His efforts led to numerous publications and national presentations during his training.Dr. Zhou was also selected for the AOA Resident Leadership Forum during his residency training.
Dr. Zhou is dedicated to providing exceptional patient care with the highest level of compassion and expertise.He looks forward to helping you with your back-related problems.
Dr. Zhou currently resides in West Hartford and enjoys running and hiking
- Under Graduate : University of California, San Diego: B.S. Biomedical Engineering
- Medical School : Boston University School of Medicine: Doctor of Medicine
- Internship : University of Massachusetts Medical School Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency : University of Massachusetts Medical School Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship : University of Massachusetts Medical School Department of Orthopaedic Surgery: Research Fellowship University of British Columbia: Acute-Adult Spine Fellowship
- Post Doctoral : University of Massachusetts Isenberg School of Management: Masters of Business Administration
- Bone & Joint Institute at Hartford Hospital
- Orthopedic Associates Surgical Centers