Dr. Paul Novakovich is a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in Sports Medicine. He treats a variety of conditions and injuries to the upper and lower extremities. He has specialized training in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee.
Dr. Novakovich grew up in Alexandria, Louisiana and attended Bolton High School from which he graduated with honors. He then attended Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge and obtained a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology with minors in Chemistry and History.
Having completed his undergraduate studies, he was accepted to medical school at LSU. During his studies, Dr. Novakovich earned one of the highest academic honors; he was accepted into the AOA honor society awarded to those in the top of their medical school class.
After completing medical school, Dr. Novakovich then completed a residency at the University of Birmingham in Alabama at which time he trained with some of the world’s leading experts in orthopedic surgery, including the famous Dr. James Andrews. During his training at UAB, he fell in love with arthroscopy and with treating athletes. It was for this reason that he applied for a fellowship in Sports Medicine.
Dr. Novakovich was awarded one of four fellowship positions at the Andrews Institute to pursue an additional year of training in Sports Medicine. He was chosen from hundreds of candidates to work hand in hand with Dr. Andrews on athletes of all caliber. During this year, he learned from the best on arthroscopic surgical techniques, non-operative treatment of the musculoskeletal system, and taking care of athletes of all ages. He had the opportunity to work with many players from the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, WWE, and collegiate players from all levels. In addition, he worked with Auburn University and with the Cincinnati Reds AA affiliate as an assistant team physician.
After completing his fellowship, Dr. Novakovich practiced in orthopedic sports medicine in Lafayette, Louisiana. During his tenure in southern Louisiana, he served as medical director for Louisiana Athletic Care providing first class rehab and athletic training services to Acadia and Vermillion Parish High Schools. Every Friday night, Dr. Novakovich could be found providing sideline coverage for numerous high schools in the area.
In addition, Dr. Novakovich served as a part of the Ragin Cajun Health Care Alliance and was team physician for Men's and Women's basketball at the University of Louisiana Lafayette. He also served as team physician for Lafayette's semi-professional hockey team the Louisiana Icegators.
He is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Medical Association, and the Louisiana Orthopedic Association. In addition, he teaches younger physicians, residents, and fellows in arthroscopic techniques.
In addition to sports medicine, Dr. Novakovich is well trained in all aspects of orthopedics, and is comfortable taking care of your musculoskeletal problems. Whether it is foot/ankle injuries or carpal tunnel syndrome, he is willing and able to take care of your orthopedic needs.
ABOS Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon 2014
Acadiana Orthopedics Center at Southwest 2012-current
Current Hospital Privileges
- Lafayette General Hospital
- Women's and Children's Hospital
- Lafayette Surgicare
- Park Place Surgical Hospital
- Lafayette Surgical Specialty Hospital
- Oil Center Surgical Plaza
- Acadia General Hospital
- Lafayette General Southwest
Andrews Research and Education Institute Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Dr. James Andrews -Medical Director, Pensacola, Florida, 07/2011-07/2012
Post Graduate Education and Training
- University of Alabama Birmingham Orthopaedic Residency Program, Birmingham, Alabama, 06/2006-06/2011
- LSUHSC, Shreveport, Louisiana, 08/2002-05/2006, MD Honors
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 09/1997 - 12/2001 Bachelor of Science in Microbiology with minor in Chemistry and History
- USMLE Step 1: Passed
- USMLE Step 2: Passed
- USMLE Step 3: Passed
- ABOS Part 1: Passed
- ABOS Part 2: Passed
Current Medical Licensures
Louisiana Medical License; Good standing
Published Web Based Journal Articles
- Massive Pelvic Wounds Managed with a Vacuum-Assisted Closure (VAC) Device, Paul Novakovich, MD, et al, submitted for publication
- Silver Negative Pressure Dressing with Vacuum-Assisted Closure of Massive Soft Tissue Loss Involving the Pelvis and Extremities, Paul Novakovich, MD et al, submitted for publication
- Biomechanics of the Hard Change-Up, Paul Novakovich, MD, Sanjay Menon, MD, Glen Fleisig, James Andrews, MD
- IntelliSkinTM, Co-Investigator, "The Efficacy of a Compression Shirt with Built-In Webbing on Pitching Performance and Fatigue", 2011
- Massive Pelvic Wounds Managed with a Vacuum-Assisted Closure (VAC Device):- Presented at Mid America Orthopaedic Association, Austin, TX, April 23, 2010
- Silver Negative Pressure Dressing with Vacuum-Assisted Closure of Massive Soft Tissue Loss Involving the Pelvis and Extremities: Presented at UAB Residents Research Day, Birmingham, AL, June 17, 2011
- Louisiana Orthopedic Society Panel Discussion 2016
- AANA Resident and Fellows Course: Fundamentals in Arthroscopy 2016
- AANA Resident and Fellows Course: Fundamentals in Arthroscopy 2017
- AAOS Lab Instructor Annual Academy Meeting 2012
Professional Society Memberships
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Louisiana Orthopedic Society
- LSUHSC Medical-Legal Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Honors and Awards
- Member of Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Nathan Bernstein Academic Scholarship Recipient 2004-2006
- Rapides Parish Medical Society Scholarship Recipient
Team Coverage Experience
- Assistant team physician, Auburn University 2011-2012
- Ragin Cajun Health Care Alliance Member
- Team physician Men's and Women's Basketball University of Louisiana, Lafayette 2013-current
- Team physician Louisiana Icegators Professional Hockey Team 2012-2016
- Medical Director for Louisiana Athletic Care providing coverage for Acadia Parish high schools 2012-current, Vermillion Parish High Schools 2014-current
- Medical Executive Committee Lafayette Surgicare 2013-2016
- Resident Education Committee 2009
- Social Committee Member LSUHSC 2005-2006